Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Changed by God or change for whom?

Changed of one-self is the evidence of being a Christian. It's not just bad people become good but dead people become alive (we are all spiritually dead, having no intimate relationship with the living God but through the blood of Jesus Christ we become alive and the broken relationship between God and us has been restored. The Holy Spirit awakens the dead spirit who is now in Christ). By God's grace, may the content of this post be a helpful instrument to every Christian who wants to be changed and be used by God.

If you have already read my other post entitled “Is Christian a self-righteous?” you'll come up to the conclusion that every Christian must change the way they live and repent from all their sins. Let me ask you a question. If you are truly a Christian, have you been changed? If yes, by whom? Before we answer this question, I'd like to tell you a story of a guy whom I've known so well.

There's a guy who've learned about God a bit. He reads his Bible and often talks about God. But the problems is, he is still indulging in his favorite sin. But a friend who happened to be a genuine Christian approached him and told what he was - a hypocrite. Instead of repenting and asking God for forgiveness he rather chose his own way and challenged his life to be changed. Every time this friend was around, he pretended to be good, do all that he could to prove to this Christian friend that he was changed. He goes to church, attends prayer meetings and seminars. But the truth is, he was making a lie.

We can fool the world but we can't fool God. “Do not be deceived: God cannot be mocked. A man reaps what he sows. The one who sows to please his sinful nature, from that nature will reap destruction; the one who sows to please the Spirit, from the Spirit will reap eternal life” (Galatians 6:7-8). “ The LORD search the heart and examine the mind, to reward a man according to his conduct, according to what his deeds deserve” (Jeremiah 17:10). If we are changed apart from the presence of God we are in a big trouble. Suppose, you have idolized someone because he is righteous and nice. And look to him and make him as if he is your model of righteousness. But suddenly this friend you idolized committed sin. What will be the outcome of your life? Surely, you will also fall. But you may argue, I will never fall, I can stand on my own. Maybe yes. But on my own experience, I eventually fall, trying to justify that I also deserved to commit sin because he too who is even more righteous than I have also fall, why not I?

Before I've write this article, I know that I needed God in doing this. So, I prayed to Him and asked Him to search my heart and show to me my real intention in doing this. As I still continued in praying a small still voice spoke to me and ask “Is this for My glory or for yours?” Then I directly confessed to God and admitted that I did this to be praised by men. When we glorify other things more than God, we are worthless. We are created and made by God for His glory (Isaiah 43:7).

Friends, the Bible clearly states that we can't changed ourselves nor can we please God apart from Jesus. Only the name of Jesus must be glorified and magnified. He alone is the King of kings and the Lord of lords. If we truly we wants to please God, just come to Him and genuinely repent from all your sins and make Him as your Lord and Savior, and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit (Acts 2:38). In Galatians 5:22 - The fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the sinful nature with its passions and desires.

If we think we have been changed, think it twice. Is it because of someone else, or is it because of the great love of Jesus that compels us to repentance.

No comments:

Post a Comment